Types of Nuts and Seeds and their Health Benefits
Nuts can be categorized as either culinary nuts or true botanical nuts. It can be grouped into different classes, including angiosperm seeds, true nuts, gymnosperm seeds, and drupes. Gymnosperm seeds are a kind of seed that’s not enclosed. Examples of such seeds include gingko nuts and pine nuts. True nuts don’t open to release their seed. Examples of true nuts include hazelnuts, acorns, and chestnuts.
Angiosperm seeds are a kind of seed containinga larger fruitinside. Examples include macadamia nuts, peanuts, and Brazil nuts. A drupe is a kind of fruit with an outer fleshy part that surrounds a shell with seeds inside. Examples of drupes include pecans, walnuts, almonds, peaches, cherries, and plums.
Nuts types can also be classified by how they grow. For instance, groundnuts are a kind of legume that ripens underground. Almonds, cashews, and walnuts grow on trees. Nuts may also be separate into as they are produced or processed. For example, nuts with added flavors have a nutrient profile than roasted nuts. Here are some of the healthiest nuts that you can eat and have their benefits.
- Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, a mineral with antioxidant properties that help fight harmful free radicals and prevent cancer. One ounce of Brazil nuts contains 4 grams protein, 18.8 grams fat, 2.1 grams dietary fiber, 185 calories, 3.5 grams carbs, 542 micrograms selenium, 205 milligrams phosphorus, 106 milligrams magnesium, 205 milligrams phosphorus, 0.5-milligram copper and 0.3-milligram manganese. Brazil nuts may help increase good HDL cholesterol and lower bad LDL cholesterol within nine hours.
- Cashews are rich in antioxidants that can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases and prevent free radical damage. It also contains heart-healthy fats. Cashews help prevent cancer, promote a healthy heart and strong bones, and also are good for your skin and hair. A one-ounce serving of cashews contains 0.9-gram dietary fiber, 0.6-milligram copper, 5.1 grams protein, 0.5-milligram manganese, 81.8 milligrams magnesium, 166 milligrams phosphorus, 155 calories, 9.2 grams carbohydrates, and 12.3 grams fat.
- Almonds are packed with vitamin E, fiber and protein and vitamin. One ounce of almonds contains 5.9 grams protein, 3.4 grams dietary fiber, 14 grams fat, 161 calories, 6.1 grams carbohydrates, 0.6-milligram manganese, 7.4 milligrams Vitamin E, 5.7 milligrams magnesium and 0.3-milligram riboflavin. Eating almonds daily can help reduce cholesterol levels. It can also help lower cholesterol in adults and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Hazelnuts contain a high amount of copper, manganese and other micronutrients. A one-ounce serving of hazelnuts contains 4.2 grams protein, 2.7 grams dietary fiber, 1.7 milligrams manganese, 0.2-milligram thiamine, 4.2 milligrams vitamin E, 0.5-milligram copper, 176 calories, 17 grams fat and 4.7 grams carbs. Hazelnuts can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Walnuts are high in omega 3 fats, antioxidants, and phytosterols. Walnuts are good for your heart, can help protect against cancer, and are good for your brain aiding in reducing depression and the risk of age related diseases, such as Alzheimer’s.
- Macadamia nuts are packed with thiamine, manganese and other nutrients. A one-ounce serving of macadamia nuts includes 4 grams protein, 1.2 milligrams manganese, 0.2-milligram copper, 0.3-milligram thiamine, 2.4 grams dietary fiber, 203 calories, 21.4 grams fat and 2.2 grams carbs. Macadamia nuts can help reduce bad and total LDL cholesterol in people with high cholesterol.
- Peanuts are technically a legume, highest amount of folates compared to other nuts; folates are essential for brain development. Peanuts are also high in Vitamin E. Peanuts promote a healthy pregnancy because of the high folates which help reduce the risk of birth defects. Peanuts also boost memory, help fight depression, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Every nut has its own benefits the key is that it should be consumed in moderation. Read more about different NUTS around you.NY Spice Shop offers a large selection of seeds and nuts. They have hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds and so much more. NY Spice Shop also offers herbal teas, coffee, spices, herbs, and dried fruits.